Wednesday, August 8, 2012

"fashion blog posts"

I was saying that a fashion blog should really be a fashion blog, since the purpose of a fashion blog is a bit like pinterest: one says I would like to spend some time looking at pretty things and maybe get some ideas for me, and then one finds a fashion blog where it is all there in one place, curated by someone whose taste one admires, like A Dress a Day, and A New Dress a Day (no connection).  But one does not necessarily put fashion blogs in their RSS feed, because one wants to consume at lot at once, but not very often.

But since my Grown Up Resolution, clothes are often What I Am Thinking About, and so I suppose I will continue my "fashion blog posts," but with scare quotes, even though I disapprove of scare quotes, because I would like to make sure that no one thinks that I am thinking that this deserves to be taken seriously.

This is the second day this week that I have successfully resisted a desire to go to work in a ratty pair of cutoffs.  I don't know why, but those are my comfort clothes during the summer, but they are definitely not allowed in my resolution.

My plan is to go home after work, pack for San Diego, and then go to the Practice Dance at the studio, and an hour or two of salsa.  I am having trouble going to bed appropriately for school hours, so I really need to get home at a reasonable hour.  On the other hand, I need the exercise and I would like to try a few more times to see if HSB will be there.

With that in mind, I wanted to wear the camera skirt for its signaling purposes, but I don't have much in the way of good t-shirts for it.  So, bright blue corduroy skirt, Threadless t-shirt. 


I love how this shirt looks with blue.

Also, I love this shirt.

Here's the thing about the shirt: During spring break of my sophomore year of college, I took a road trip and couch hopped from friend to friend up and down the East Coast, from NYC to Richmond.  I was 19 years old and somewhat recently out of an abusive relationship.  I'd just chopped off all my hair and once I got back, I would dye it blue for the first time.  I was young and sexy and happy and free and I even knew it, which has been a very rare joy for me in the past, and it was a brisk, sunny, day that first drive up 95.  For the first time, when I saw the signs say I-95 NORTH NEW YORK, I was actually going to New York, New York, and my diskman plugged into the tape deck sitting on the empty passenger seat played Friday I'm In Love.

And the shirt?  It's got the lyrics drawn out in pictograms.

I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's gray and Wednesday too
Thursday I don't care about you
it's Friday I'm in Love!


No comments: