Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What I'm Working With


The first time anyone asked me out, I was fourteen years old.  He was thirteen, which was kind of a big deal.  His name was Kenny, and he was a friend of my friends.  We hung out sometimes.  He asked me out via BBS (oh the sound of modems!).  At the time, I was convinced of my own absolute un-date-ability, as evidenced by the fact that I was FOURTEEN YEARS OLD and had never had a boyfriend.  I mean, geez.  I was in ninth grade already!  Plus, I was fat, zit-faced, and uncool.  So when I read Kenny's message, I didn't believe him.  It was obviously a joke.  I told him so.

He wrote back, indignant.  How could I think that he was kidding?  What did I take him for?  Of course he really wanted to be my boyfriend.  Up until then, I had never really considered the possibility.  So, I considered.  I decided that I might like to be his girlfriend.  I said yes.

It turns out, he actually was kidding.

The point of this story is twofold:

1) I still carry this around with me, and
2) I'm pretty sure that Pick Up Boy was joking.



p.s. I'm still not happy with this blog design.  It is my work, but I'm not sure I like the overall pretty and pink and nature (even if the nature is actually dead and stuffed).  It's me, but it's an aspect of me, and every other design I can think of is also an aspect, and not very open to other aspects, which is the problem.  I can't go back to exactly what I had, because I've forgotten what it was.  I could make it even more minimal and take out the photo in the background.

SIGH

I don't know.


p.p.s. Upon re-reading, I think it looks like I'm trying to point at my anecdote and say hey look how bad I've had it!  But really I just meant, here is a formative event in my understanding of people and their actions.

No comments: