Thursday, April 19, 2012

Perfectly sensible

So I was thinking about how I wanted to write a story with resonance.  I didn't just want an exercise in being entertaining, I wanted to make something that means something.  And so I immediately went to nonfiction, even though I know perfectly well that one can write meaningful fiction.  But once I make this about wanting to say something, everything that I want to say is personal.  And I could fictionalize myself, I could make Allison almost, but not quite, me.  But, just as I refused to rename Sheila, I refuse to rename myself.  Allison is Allison, and I am me, and I am writing a story about the two of us.

And I think this story is about alternate selves and alternate histories, so there's me, there's other-me, and there's this girl I'm writing about, who is a little like me, too.  Except she talks to toasters.  Makes perfect sense, right?

No comments: