Tuesday, August 6, 2013

20th Birthday

I don't know why this is important, but it is.  When I was in college, a friend of mine passed around a cassette tape to our friends and asked them to record themselves reading a story onto it.  She gave it to me for my 20th birthday.  I wish I could remember what stories everyone picked.  What I do remember is that one friend prefaced her story by saying that, since the tape was intended for me to listen to while falling asleep, she would read the most boring thing she knew, which was why I had a tape recording of her reading a chapter from her psychology textbook.

I don't know what made me think about that tape again.  But now that I remember, I am charmed all over again by the thoughtfulness, the quirky humor, of a long-ago-lost birthday present.

No comments: