Wednesday, July 29, 2009

today and tomorrow

notes for today:

Jess is leaving forever. I find that I'm still in denial about that, even though she leaves on Friday. We took her out to sushi tonight, and then she went back to the bookbinding studio to finish her final project.

Jess was the first person in Iowa to really talk to me. I mean, I'd met people, but she was the first person to come up to me and have a real conversation. I wish I'd been able to be friends with her then, but it took me the good part of a year to make social overtures her way. I'm usually too shy for social overtures. It didn't help that she's sweet, and smokin' hot, and I had a secret crush on her.

I did finally get to tell her about the crush. I really like telling people about crushes I have had on them, past tense. Well, with Jess it's only partly past-tense. I still think she's sweet and smokin' hot, but the flutter in my stomach has quieted down.

Tonight I had geoduck (in sashimi) for the first time. I mostly wanted to try it from having seen it in Dirty Jobs, which isn't really a high recommendation. I think it's a delicacy, but then again so is bird nest soup, which is boiled bird spit. I would totally eat that too.

Anyway, I'd been told that geoduck tasted awful, like a beach, not in a sunshine-and-happy-feeling kind of way, but a salty-smelly kind of way. That is exactly what it tasted like. There were moments as I was chewing when I thought it tasted good, but they were always followed by moments when I would have rathered spit it out. I ate the second piece, mostly because Andrew ate his second piece and I didn't want to be outdone.

Then I helped Andrew move a few things from apartment 1 to apartment 2 and 3. I failed to make plans to get drunk with Mike. Then I realized that I only had about 5 hours of sleep, and about 3 of those hours were spent on either a recliner or the floor. So now I am home again.


notes for tomorrow:

up
gym
meet Alyssa for lunch
buy car
mail package for Fenna
shop for fabric for Fenna's bag
use yarn swift @ Home Ec.
stay @ Home Ec.?
more food?
Zoomba with Alyssa
alcohol?
sleep

1 comment:

Unknown said...

my relatives on my mom's side of the family tried to make me eat it. i think i had the same problem at the time i heard it was bird spit. but for the sake of health, I am now taking it regularly.

btw, i don't buy the super-expensive kind like old people do. the ready-to-drink kind at the stores are pretty affordable. (e.g. www.geocities.jp/hongkong_bird_nest/index_e.htm)