Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Summer Vacation in Jacksonville, Part III, section A

Girly stuff

One of the things I wanted to do in Jacksonville was meet the people in Fenna's life. I wanted to put faces to the people in her stories: her mom, Toni, Kara (and her baby), Danielle, Victoria, Bryan, Birdie, Emily. Bryan is the guy I talked to on the phone once, at a club, because he was feeling a little freaked out by Fenna. I wasn't very helpful, but apparently I didn't make it too much worse, because they're still friends. He's into her, but she isn't into him, not like that. She's just not attracted. So when he comes over on Friday afternoon while we're sitting on the couch, editing photos (Fenna) and knitting (me), I think this can't be Bryan. I was expecting nothing special. I was not expecting sexy.

And then he's charming, and geeky, and I'm trying to not make it obvious how hot I think he is. When he leaves and I'm sure that he's not only out the door, but at least two blocks away, I tell Fenna. She says I should make out with him. This is a GREAT plan. I am excited.

At the bar that night, dancing is scarce. None of the guys who can lead lindy are coming, and the DJ sucks (as, apparently, he ususally does). We meet a guy who sort of angles towards Fenna, but then he disappears, and she sends me & Bryan on a reconnaissance mission outside to find him. The guy's not there, but we don't go right back inside. He knows I think he's cute, doesn't know the plan. I still have no idea what he thinks.

Eventually Fenna comes out and tells Bryan, "Angela thinks you're hott, and you guys should make out." Then she leaves. He still doesn't make any comments about liking or not liking this plan. We talk some more. I'm halfway through a sentence about, I don't remember, Dollhouse coming back for another season, or Torchwood versus Dr. Who, and--WOW--I swear there was no time between being in a state of talking, and being in a state of kissing. I didn't see it happen. I like this boy.

We look in through the window, and see Fenna dancing, so it seems not too terrible to abandon her. So we do.

Fenna comes out again -- the club is not awesome, people are hungry, let's go get food. It's walking distance from her house, so we meet up there. Her downstairs neighbors are sitting on the porch, smoking & drinking. We don't end up inside, and we don't get food. I do a little talking, and a lot of being part of the annoying couple on the side who should really get a room. I know it's annoying. I figure, I have three options, either 1) go inside, which I'm not willing to do because I know how bad my self control is and I won't put myself in a position where I might have to depend on it, 2) stop making out, 3) be the annoying couple all over each other. Did I mention I like him? Did I mention that I think he's really hot? I pick option 3. People can deal.

At some point someone brings out guitars and now there's singing, some of us good at it, some of us not. When the harmonica comes out it's like the most perfect thing in the whole world. I fucking love Florida.

No comments: