Sunday, July 5, 2009

1-800-NUTSACK

I once called every dirty 1-800 number I could think of, to see if any of them weren't actually what they sounded like. Most of them, like 1-800-444-FUCK, reached exactly the kind of recording one would expect. On the other hand, 1-800-NUTSACK reached a desk at Continental Airlines. This was almost 10 years ago, I think since then the airline has changed. Feel free to try it and let me know what you get.

I also love talking on the phone to strangers. Or, at least, I love talking on the phone to people I don't really know. I think part of it is because I don't get the same kind of "new person" shyness on the phone the way I do in person. When I meet someone in real life, I freeze up. I am quiet and shy. I blush. I really do. And so you can't really meet me in real life, because you won't be meeting me. I'll be too busy hiding and stammering and fidgeting.

And there's something both removed & intimate, distant & revealing, about being on the phone. There is me, at home, sitting semi-naked on my floor, or (clothed) in my backyard. It's my space, and no one is watching, so it feels private. And then there's this disembodied voice; despite all the intimacy, nothing is revealed. We are removed from each other. I find it terribly attractive.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're reading this, you should call me sometime. We should totally talk. 510.499.4379

3 comments:

John E said...

It's still an airline. A Sun Pact(?) sales desk extension. I thought I'd call, to have something to comment about. And to let you know I'm reading up a bit. HI ANGELA.

Angela said...

Hi John!

(I didn't really have anything else to say, just to let you know that I read your comment.)

Unknown said...

When I last called them it was Gulfstream Airlines. They were selling 6 & 8 packs of tickets and didn't employ anyone juvenile enough to realize that 1-800-688-PACK is the same number as 1-800-NUTSACK.