Friday, January 27, 2012

Earthquake Prevention

When the sign says, Congratulations on a Safe Work Space-- 146 days since the last accident, we like to think that it's because we're doing something right.   We are keeping the bad things at bay.

But, most of the time, it's more like saying, Congratulations on a sturdy house!-- 3 years since it last fell down, when it's just that it's been three years since the last earthquake.   Congratulations, it's been 3 years since the last earthquake.  We're doing such a good job at stopping earthquakes.

My house is not sturdy.   I am not practicing earthquake prevention.   I am not any closer to the person I want to be, I just hadn't been shown otherwise.

This is not the letter I am going to write.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Just the metaphoric kind, thank god. Nothing here is earthquake-ready.