Monday, August 17, 2009

My Summer Vacation in Berkeley, part IV

I find myself putting off and putting off writing more about my trip to California, and I'm wondering if I'm forgetting already, deliberately. The problem is, I really do forget the things I don't write down, and there are plenty of lovely, not-difficult things I haven't written about yet:

I went swing dancing in Golden Gate Park. I went by myself, which was a risk. In some places, everyone gathers in huddles, their backs to the outside, right up until the moment they pair up and move to the floor. They dance with friends, then go back to their huddles. I have a hard time being assertive about getting dance time with strangers, and I'm not such an amazing dancer as to draw them to me on skill alone.

In San Francisco, people were open, friendly, easy to dance with, and made themselves available to ask. Strangers would ask me first. Most of the music was at a moderate tempo, which meant I could dance most of it, and I was much more familiar with everyone's stylings. It was sunny & breezy, with about half the "floor" in spotted shade. I'd forgotten how effortless and enjoyable dancing could be.

. . .

I met two flickr friends, both of whom I've known for some time now, but hadn't ever had the opportunity to spend time with in person. It's a little strange, because it isn't quite like meeting a person, I already know the person. But typing is no substitute for talking, and flickr just isn't real life.

Jen & I tried to go to the beach, but ended up lost in foggy, twisting roads in Point Reyes. Instead of beach, we found an elk reserve. And it was more of a drive, and less of a walk, than originally planned, but no less lovely for the change.

Grumbles picked me up after Lindy in the Park and we gossiped about flickr, had Thai food in the Castro (where, apparently due to the success of the movie Milk, has gotten a sudden glut of tourists who come to look at The Gays), and then he took me to get my lip pierced.

. . .

Mike & I took the Muni out to Ocean Beach (which is a worthwhile trip in itself), had sugary coffee drinks, and sugary confections (just a muffin for him, but a macaroon as big as my fist for me), and walked for a few hours in the water. This deserves a post in itself, really. I don't know if I could fill the post with words, I am running out of words for water, but it deserves at least a big, empty space on the internet to convey it's importance to me. Things are occasionally difficult between us, but that day it was easy, and it felt good.

No comments: