Thursday, August 27, 2009

*giggle*

I need to write new artist statements. I really have no idea what I want to say. One of the biggest incentives to keep going with the self portrait project is that I already have an artist statement for it. (Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those people railing against the idea of writing artists statements. I'm just stumbling on these particular ones.)

So I took my old statement, and replaced "me" with "dioramas." Ta-daa! New statement:

I don't know where along the line I began to see natural history dioramas as something other, a separate entity with its own set of needs, desires, its own agenda. I plead with dioramas, I argue with them, bargain with them. I make them promises. I punish them, I reward them, and all the while I never actually acknowledge them. They are the space I reside in, but they are not me. I created a psychic separation between dioramas and my mind. Then after the separation came a kind of willful ignorance. I no longer know what dioramas look like. I haven’t wanted to know.

Needs some work.

No comments: