Tuesday, September 10, 2013

In the Kitchen

I have been learning to make char siu.  It's not quite there, but it's getting really close.  I still need to tweak the times a little.  I bake it in a covered dish first, so it stays moist and tender, and then re-cover with sauce and bake on a rack at a higher temp, and much closer to the heating elements to braise the outside a little.  The last two times the bigger pieces were still a little undercooked in the middle.  But the smaller ones were perfect.  I mean, seriously.  My pork brings all the girls to the yard.  Or at least, all my housemates to the kitchen.

Not exactly fabulous food photography, but you get the idea.


When I get it totally right, I'll come back and tell y'all how it's done.  It's not particularly difficult, although there's a lot of waiting involved. 

And speaking of kitchens, I finished my first Sylvia Plath tea towel!



I am in the sort of state where all I can see are mistakes, but I understand that this says more about me than it does the towel.  I wanted to photograph it hanging in the kitchen, but the only place for it to hang flat is from the oven... which I did.  And then I felt like a terrible person and deleted it.  This is it on the kitchen table, instead.

No comments: