Saturday, June 20, 2009

What I Did This Morning

Instructions for Duct-Tape Custom Fit Dressmaker's Form:

1) put on good bra
2) put on sacrificial t-shirt
3) get good friends to cover you in several layers of duct tape (super hero colors optional)
4) cut up the back (making sure to cut through the bad t-shirt but not the good bra)
5) crawl out
6) re-tape the seam in back
7) stuff with polyfill, etc.
8) acquire mad project-runway style draping skills

me

So far I'm at step #6. I put some laundry inside to keep it standing upright for the photo, but it's still a bit saggy in weird places (sure the boobage sags, but my shoulders?). Making these makes it obvious why sewing shirts & dresses is so hard -- what a weird & awkward 3-D form to try to make 2-D materials into! I am resolving to make all tops from here on out from knit fabric. Stretchy fabric is my friend.

On an unrelated note, these are the things I was mulling in my head to write down earlier:

I always feel guilty running the air conditioner in my apartment, even when it's 90 degrees F and 90% humidity, but I feel no guilt seeking out air conditioned places to be. I also drive the wrong way out of my parking lot every time, but I get annoyed when other people do it.

I tried really hard to finish the gaudy Noro cardigan I was making before I started another project. But I failed. Have started spinning a light blue camel - silk blend to make a lacy tank top that I hopefully will finish (and like) in time to wear to my cousin's wedding. If that doesn't work, The Shawl is still back up plan.

.
this yarn


into this tank (but slightly longer, slightly more fitted, and slightly lighter material)

1 comment:

chelle marie said...

Pretty yarn, pretty tank! Can't wait to see it.