Friday, June 26, 2009

promises

So I took a mini-trip out to see a friend in Chicago. It was wonderful. It probably would have been wonderful even if I did nothing but go to sleep in a different place than I woke up in. The fact that the different place is a city, a proper city with trains and tall buildings, makes it worthwhile no matter what else. There was also a beach, of sorts, a city-beach with little waves to wade into, a friend I'd lost touch with, a museum I could photograph all year long, and the feeling of making my own private adventure.

This afternoon I was having dim sum in Chinatown, this evening I had pizza at Airliner, and by 3:33 am (making a wish), it almost seems like it never happened. Somehow once I come home it feels very quickly like I never left. I settle so easily into whatever I left; I forget what I was so excited about.

I need to make changes here. Going out will always be more exciting than staying home, but I can change what it means to stay home. I can clean the apartment. I can get work done.

No comments: