Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Art School Fads

I can't stop. I keep making lists. I want to start making videos of my blog entries on the screen while I read it aloud. Or maybe just start uploading audio clips instead of text because I like to hear myself talk. Today, at 10:33pm, my hand says

LAURA
pixels
resolution
MEET
MARGARET

In class today I made a list of my known scars:

On my left hand, if I make a mitten shape with my hand, like the shape of michigan and draw a line down the center of my index finger and another perpendicular line down the center of my thumb, there at the intersection, a straight line bisecting that angle: 1/4" long. A scratch that scarred over, from a hedge. 12-14 years ago.

On top of my left forearm, just slightly to the right (my right) of center, spaced at even intervals: three thin parallel lines. As I hold my arm in front of me on the keyboard, the lines point up and down. The one closest to my wrist is about 1/2" long, the next one is about 3/4", and the one by my elbow is about 1". Self inflicted, mostly likely a dull razor blade. 12-14 years ago.

Further up from the last three, above my elbow, at the fleshiest part of my arm: 11 short but dramatically raised lines, parallel to the last, and spaced close together in approximately two rows, one on top of the other. 1/4" to 1/2" in length. Self inflicted with razor blade and calligraphy pen. Blood clotted too quickly in the pen to be useful as writing implement. 12-14 years ago.

Left bicep, two intersecting lines: an upside down "T" with a slightly rounded bottom, each line about 1/2" long, also very raised. 1" above that: fat little line, almost an oval, 1/4" in the longest dimension. Self inflicted, razor blade. 12-14 years ago.

Inside upper left arm, where it meets my armpit: unknown quantity of stretch marks. 4-8 years ago.

Face: unknown quantity of acne scars. 1-17 years ago.

Right forearm, about 2" from wrist: thin, nearly invisible line, 1/2" long. As my arm is held out in front of me, palm down, it points up and down. Source unknown. Age unkown.

Both breasts, where they meet my armpits: unknown quantity of stretch marks. 4-8 years ago.

Both sides of stomach, about a hand's width from the top of my jeans: unknown quantity of stretch marks. 4-8 years ago.

Right thigh on the outside, where it meets my hips: crescent shape about 2-3" long, slightly raised. Below that, closer to my knee, two more curling lines, about 1-2" long, not raised at all, visible only in the right light. Self inflicted, safety pin. 13-14 years ago.

Left shoulder, on the back: tattoo of a fish and leaves. Does that count? I don't know. 10 years ago.

Middle of back, exactly too high to reach with my arm from below, and too low to reach with my arm from above: small indentation (rumored). Minor surgery to remove sebaceous cyst. 1 year ago.

I think this list sounds really self pitying or something, but I don't see it that way. It kind of says something, I think, that I've had no big accidents, no falls or breaks or crashes, no pencils thrown too hard by brothers. Nothing terrible at all.

No comments: