Thursday, September 6, 2012

What was I talking about again?

Besides the obvious, I mean.  I'm sure there was something I was talking about that wasn't about dating, but I can't remember what it was.  I think it was shoes.

(I ordered a pair in 6 1/2 wide.  They are too small, in both directions, although hopefully stretch-able.  Then I ordered a pair in 7 extra wide.  They are ENORMOUS.  Way too big in all directions.  The fuck.)

Anyway, it's not like I interrupted anything serious with this new frivolity.  I interrupted the frivolity with more frivolity. 

I need a pen name.  Not for me.  For him.  Because I did decide that true names were powerful enough to use only with extreme caution, and that means that I've left his name out of this space.  But replacing a proper name with a generic male pronoun is getting really awkward.  He's been named He-Man by others (because of a charming story from early on involving the power of Grayskull), but something about the name doesn't quite stick with me.  Boy and Boyfriend are obvious choices, but common, and thus potentially confusing.  I could use his initial, but some letters just don't lend themselves to speech very well. 

I could give him a pet name, except that my usual sleepy term of endearment is Sweetheart, which doesn't stand up while I'm standing up.  Or even sitting up.   Perhaps I will simply pick a name.  A completely unrelated name.  Like when I changed Evelyn to Olivia when I was writing a story about someone I knew when I was growing up. 

The problem with all of this is that whatever name I pick will probably become his name because that's how names work.  Which makes calling him something like Sam kind of awkward and likely confusing.

Bah.

Maybe I'll call him "Sam," but with scare quotes.  Or Sam (Not His Real Name).  I could shorten it to SNHRN.

Or I could just stick with He-Man, since that's what my friends already know.

Sigh.  Boyfriends are complicated.

No comments: