Thursday, July 18, 2013

Same Thing, Always

You know, the sad thing is, this blog is a pretty accurate depiction of my life for the last few weeks.  Not that it's usually untrue, but I often fill this space up with things that I'd like to separate from my real life conversations, things that I don't want to spend all my real time talking about, or things that don't really fit.  So sometimes while I'm spending my time doing other things, and working on projects and hanging out with people, all I'm writing about is a detailed breakdown of my iPhone camera apps.  But right now, when all I talk about here is home decor and video games?  Yeah, that's it.  That's my life.


I have—cautiously—read some mentions of DA2.  I've kept myself pretty free from spoilers.  Mostly what I know is what I might have learned from a game trailer or the back cover of a novel.  I haven't read any more of this article, because I'm sure it will tell me things I'd like to learn for myself, but it does a great job of making me curious:
So it was with both trepidation and excitement that I finally approached Dragon Age 2, as I missed it on initial release and then was warned off of it afterward. Having finally played it, I can see what the fuss was about, both good and bad. Dragon Age 2 almost demanded to be controversial thanks to its structure. In a genre filled with narratively complete, balanced games, DA2 ambitions push it in less balanced and incomplete directions. That's risky.
I'm still worried that the character interaction won't live up to DA:O, but this is intriguing.


On another note, just to prove that I can think of SOMETHING else to say:

I picked up The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms as my one non-comfort book in the (previously illustrated) pile.  I'd heard it was good, N.K. Jemisin won stuff and was guest speaking at important things, and had recently gotten shit for being black and saying that maybe SF/F should be a little less monochromatic.  And even though my used-book purchase isn't actually getting her any of the money, it seemed like I should see what she actually did.  I'm not done with it, but so far I'm pretty damn impressed.  It's really good.  Also the shelf brackets I ordered came in today so I can put my new books on a shelf.

And then, you know what?  It circles right back.  Because I started to read back down her blog and found this post about orcs which totally explains everything I hate about darkspawn, and some more reasons I hadn't even thought of.  And she talks about the differences between darkspawn in Origins versus Awakenings, and how much better it is in the latter, and how DA2 is even better because darkspawn aren't the enemy which is TOTALLY WHAT I WAS SAYING.  So there.


No comments: