Saturday, July 13, 2013

Oh, stuff. Y'know. And stuff.

So everyone I've shown my room to has said it looks like a museum or gallery.  "That's your bedroom?" they ask.  And now I feel a little silly and self conscious about it, because I feel like it looks like it's trying too hard, when all I wanted was to not have posters taped up like a dorm.  And it shouldn't matter to me, but it does.  



I had an interview today with a Communications Studies PhD candidate who is doing research for her dissertation on people who intentionally distance themselves from one or both of their parents.  We talked for an hour and a half.  And then I went and bought a bunch of comfort books.  Well, three comfort books and one book I've never read but heard was good.

Also shown, the Good Cat. 

You know when the interviewer put up the call for participants in this study, she had a hundred people respond within the first few hours.  In Iowa City, which isn't a big town.  I know I'm not alone, I know that variants of my story are more common than is portrayed in our culture, but it was still surprising to realize just how common it is. 

No comments: