Monday, January 12, 2009

This Blog Needs More Pictures

Illustrations draw the eye along the page, and require much less effort on the part of the reader. On that note, I present my latest spinning project. It started as part of an internet spinning experiment. Everyone in the group buys the same roving (Sunshine of Your Love, from Crown Mountain Farms), spins it up however they'd like (including blending & carding before spinning), and then knits the same scarf. The project will show off all the different ways a roving might be made to look as finished yarn.

This is the roving
"Sunshine of Your Love"

I separated it into 4-6" pieces and put the pieces in piles by color, from burgundy to yellow. Then I split each pile into 3 sections, to make a 3 ply yarn. These are singles in progress. One bobbin is just finished with the burgundy and starting with orange, the other bobbin is finished with orange and ready for yellow.
in progress

Then I strung gold thread with gold seed beads, and plied it together with the singles. I have one skein finished. I was spinning as thin as I could, which in 3 ply usually gets me a sport or fingering weight, but this time I actually got lace weight, at least I think it is. It's about 20-22 wpi.


Unfortunately for the project, the yarn is already talking to me. And it says it wants to be a different pattern. I think it looks like autumn, so I'm planning on a leaf patterned shawl.

1 comment:

chelle marie said...

Beautiful. This winter is making me crave orange-y yellow colored projects too.