Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"I'll take it from here."

So this happened:


See the house that is not on fire?  That's on the corner of our street.




It was scary, and then it wasn't.  I've only ever seen a fire like that in movies or on the news.  But the firemen were there, and so everything was okay, and even if it wasn't, there wasn't anything I could do about it. 

I still see myself as a little kid, some times.  I don't think further than "call in the grownups."  Once someone with authority steps in, I'm out.  When a housemate asked, "Is there something we should do?" I shrugged and said, "What can we do?"  Wouldn't I just be in the way?

I don't really believe that I have any power in the world.  I always expect someone else to take responsibility.  And the problem is, I do have power, and I can do things.  And this thing I do, this waiting for someone else to pat me on the head and say, "thanks for bring this to my attention, I'll take it from here," it's the lazy way out.

No comments: